Since people began publicly roasting pigs at parties and get-togethers, bbqs have been a common item in the lives of Australians and many nationalities across the globe.
For most of the population, using a grill is an essential part of cooking and for the hardcore bbqers once the summer comes it is bbqs all the way. Every bbq is always a fun family event. Here are 5 ways to make your routine evening bbq a more unique experience:
1) Who said you have to only bbq meat? There is quite a lot that can be done with bread or fruit and veg over a naked grill. One way to make barbecues and grilling more fun to the whole family is to use pastry cutters for whatever it is you are grilling. It is up to you or your kids what design and type of food you use. A large chopping board is ideal for such an occasion.
2) Try some of those foil packed recipes which cook in less than 20 minutes which are very handy and clean, then lay them out on a platter board. Kids will also love the surprise element. Combos can be great fun as you can mix it up any way you want and it makes a great game for the kids mixing different items of bread, fruit and veg.
3) They say variety is the spice of life so if you only ever cook the same old sausages and steaks why not try something different like a nice bit of cod or a juicy bit of venison. Similarly, try to mix it up with condiments and seasoning. This works well with any Fab Slabs cutting boards as they are safe for all food types. Being naturally antibacterial makes them safe to use as the risk of cross contamination of food is significantly minimized.
4) Bbqs should not be rushed, they are supposed to be fun, many of the die-hard bbq fans out there will state that broiling is an insult to the bbqing criteria. Bbqs should represent a process of slow cooking on low to high heat and while you wait for the food to grill it’s a great opportunity to have a good laugh with whoever is in your party be it friends or family.
5) When we were small children, our mothers told us never to play with food. Well, there is an exception to every rule isn’t there? Bbq games are a great way to have really good fun while cooking. In the game Glutton, every player gets mashed potatoes, turnip or mac and cheese, then they must pick at random a utensil from the kitchen and eat. The first person to finish their entire dish wins!
Have a look at our range of cutting boards to pick the right one for your next bbq.