Camphor Laurel Antibacterial Cross Cut boards
Camphor Laurel cutting boards have been described as Mother Nature’s best food preparation surface because of its naturally antibacterial properties. Not only are they the best surface for chopping and cutting they are also ideal for serving platters. Presenting a grazing platter on a camphor laurel cross cut is a real feature when having guests or entertaining.
Fab Slabs cross cut boards are a little different to our other range of chopping and cutting boards as the logs are cut across the tree on an angle rather than the length of the tree. This allows us to use smaller limbs of the tree decreasing waste. The cross cut board grain features the end grain of the tree showing the individual rings and character of the tree. The cross cut boards are much harder to manufacture as the end grain is tough. The finish though is well worth the effort.
Mother Nature has shaped each piece individually so every cross cut board is unique in shape and size. Like all our boards the cross cut boards won’t blunten your knives like marble and glass boards. Any knife marks on the boards tend to heal themselves but after years of use, Fab Slabs boards can be re sanded and be given a light rub with oil to bring the board back to near new.
The cross cut board has many uses
1. It is ideal for food preparation. Like all our boards, any food can be cut on the cross cut boards. Meat, chicken, garlic, cheese, vegetables etc .can all be cut on these boards. Just be sure to wash the board after each food type.
2. Carving large roasts – In most cases the cross cut boards are large enough to cut and serve a large roast. There is no need to transfer the roast onto a serving tray as the cross cut board is ideal for serving the roast and the vegetables as well.
3. Entertaining – Grazing platters are a great way to feed groups of people and still allow them to mingle and be social rather than sitting down to a traditional meal. Grazing platters are often presented so that each platter has a selection of dips, cheeses, crackers, finger foods, fruit and other delicacies. By serving these platters on a Fab Slabs cross cut, they become a real feature and talking point.
Caring for your cross cut board is quite simple
1. Wash it up in hot soapy water after use or after cutting each food type. Ideally, you then want to dry it up or leave ot to dry in a dish rack
2. Oil it whenever it looks dry – We use grape seed oil which can be bought at most supermarkets. I have to admit, I haven’t oiled some of my boards for years but 2-3 times per year is ideal.
3. Never put your camphor laurel cross cut boards (or any timber board for that matter) in the dishwasher
4. There is no need to salt your board, soak it in lemon or leave it in the sun. These methods are used to kill bacteria that breeds in plastic boards but remember…Fab Slabs boards are naturally antibacterial and it is not necessary to do anything to the board to keep it germ free (apart from washing it up after each use).
Cross cut boards are made to order so email me at firstname.lastname@example.org if you want one.